How to apply
The closing date for applications from Scottish-based community groups and small charities is twice a year – end of February and end of August. Applications are accepted at any time but they will only be considered at those times. Grant decisions are made in April and October, with awards paid shortly thereafter. The Trust will not approve applications or pay awards at any other time although applications can be submitted at any time.
To apply, complete the Application Form in full online. If you wish to complete a paper copy, this can be downloaded as a PDF and returned to the Trust by post.
To ensure that an application is fully considered, the applicant must be a community group or small charity, applying from a Scottish address, providing services to improve the quality of life for people and communities in Scotland; it must fit within a Qualifying Category (see "What we fund" for details); it must have an income of less than £100,00 a year; and it must be seeking an award of less than £25,000. If not, it will be rejected without further consideration. (See “Completing the Application Form” in “Apply Now” for further details of the criteria.) Meeting the criteria does not guarantee funding as awards are made at the discretion of Trustees and their decision is final. All information is held and stored in line with the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
Please note: the Trust will not fund individuals, social enterprises, governing bodies or commercial ventures, including business start-ups, nor will it fund requests for sponsorship.
A successful applicant can reapply for another grant no less than 12 months after the initial grant application is made. However, you can apply for further funding within that period if it is not to be used for the same purpose as the original application.
It is a requirement of accepting a grant that recipients provide a brief report, within an agreed timeframe, that shows the monies have been spent on the purpose set out in the application form.
If unsuccessful, the Trust will accept a further application one calendar year later (unless advised otherwise by the Trust) - but only if it meets all the requirements listed in paragraphs 3 and 4. If the original application was rejected because it did not meet those requirements, it will not be considered again.
For current deadlines, please check the application deadline dates (above right).
A summary of the application process is:
- Check that your Application meets the criteria laid out in paragraphs 3 and 4 above – if it doesn’t, it will be rejected on receipt
- If it does, complete and submit an application online or download and return a signed Application Form within deadline
- Do not leave blanks in the form where possible as gaps in information will slow down the process of considering your application
- You will receive an acknowledgement that it has been received and the date your application will be considered.
- Within 14 days of your application being considered (in line with the application cycle), you will receive notification either offering you a grant or rejecting your application.
The Trust’s decision is final and cannot be appealed.